Toaster ovens nowadays have more uses than before. This countertop appliance can be as capable as any oven, as long as you know and understand how it works. For instance, you can bake almost anything in it, including your favorite pies. So, one of the things you may wonder includes the question:
Can you bake a pie in a toaster oven? Yes, you can bake a pie in a toaster oven. These types of ovens work the same as any kitchen oven. The only difference is the settings and temperature, so be sure to check those things before baking. Other than that, you can make a pie in a toaster oven without worries.
Toaster ovens come in handy since it won’t heat your kitchen much and it consumes less electricity. With such benefits, you’ll find this helpful countertop tool in many ways. In this article, we’ll cover all the things you need to know about baking pie in a toaster oven. This way, you can understand how it works and prepare so you can bake your pie without problems.
Without further ado, let’s get into it!
Table of Contents
- Can you make pie in a toaster oven?
- How to bake a pie in a toaster oven?
- What temperature do you bake a pie in a toaster oven?
- How long to bake a pie in a toaster oven?
- Can you bake a frozen pie in a toaster oven?
- Can pie tin go in a toaster oven?
- Can you bake an apple pie in a toaster oven?
- Can you bake a pumpkin pie in a toaster oven?
Can you make pie in a toaster oven?
Yes, you can make a pie in a toaster oven. Toaster ovens work the same way any ovens do. The only difference is its size and temperature control. Other than these two, you can use toaster ovens as long as you understand how it works.
Now, the downside about toaster ovens is that you are limited to baking small pies at a time. However, it can be a benefit if you’re preparing only a small pie. It will save you a lot of time, effort, and electricity.
Do you want to bake in a toaster oven? Learn more.
How to bake a pie in a toaster oven?
If you plan on baking a pie in a toaster oven, you can follow these steps as your guide and directions.
Measure your oven and pie.
Check the oven’s interior to determine what size pie pan will fit inside, leaving 1 inch around the pie plate. Then, bake the pie in that pan or tiny pie pans for single portions.
Follow your preferred recipe.
Make the filling according to your preferred recipe. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Pour your preferred filling.
Wrap some aluminum foil strips around the sides of the pie crust and pour your preferred filling into it.
Set your oven’s timer.
Set a timer. Bake a full-size, 8- or 9-inch pie for 45 to 50 minutes, or fewer for individual pies, depending on the recipe.
Take out your pie.
Once the pie is done, take it out of the oven with oven gloves since the entire oven, including the outer metal case, will be piping hot.
Let it cool.
Let the pie cool on a wire rack since it would be piping hot after baking.
Tips and warnings
- For a sparkling effect and crunch, add coarse sugar on top of pies. For a sparkling finish, brush one egg white and two tablespoons of water on the top crust.
- Because the pie is so close to the top heating source, cover it with aluminum foil for the final 15 minutes of baking to avoid a burnt top.
What temperature do you bake a pie in a toaster oven?
It would be best to bake a pie in a toaster oven set to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature should be ideal when baking pies in a toaster oven.
How long to bake a pie in a toaster oven?
If you set your toaster oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, you should bake your pie for around 45 to 50 minutes long. Still, the baking time would vary on the recipe that you will follow.
Can you bake a frozen pie in a toaster oven?
Yes, you can bake a frozen pie in a toaster oven. Frozen pies are great treats to have in stock in your fridge, so you can take them out, reheat, and enjoy them anytime you want. The good thing is that you can do all the reheating in your handy toaster oven.
If you want to bake your frozen pie in your toaster oven, you can follow these steps as your guide or instructions:
Set your toaster oven’s temperature.
Set the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit if the pie was pre-baked. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit if it was not pre-baked.
Get some baking sheets and aluminum foil for baking.
It would be best if you used aluminum foil to line a cookie pan. It will assist in catching any fillings that may fall.
Take out the pie from the freezer.
Remove the pie from the freezer and peel off the plastic wrap. If it’s a frozen pie from the store, take it out of the box and peel off the wrapping.
Please don’t remove the pie from its pan.
Keep the pie in the pan. If the pie was not pre-baked, make three or four slits in the outer crust and spread the cream over the top with a pastry brush to give it a golden hue. You should sprinkle sugar on top.
Place the pie in the center.
To collect any drips from the frothy fruit filling, place the pie on a baking sheet.
Start baking your frozen pie.
Reheat the pre-baked pie for 25 to 30 minutes on a cookie sheet in the oven. For the last 10 minutes, keep an eye on the pie and, if the crust begins to brown too quickly, decrease the oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and place a layer of foil over the top of the crust. Bake the pie for 45 to 50 minutes if it is not pre-baked.
Take out the pie after baking.
With oven mitts, gently remove the pie from the oven and lay it on a trivet or wire rack to cool briefly before serving.
Tips and recommendations
Shorten the cooking time by half when baking a frozen pie that has been thawed in the refrigerator. Your frozen pies should be thawed and consumed within six months of purchase.
Frozen pies should take 25 to 30 minutes to cook if it’s already pre-baked. If it’s not pre-baked, it should take around 45-50 minutes.
Can pie tin go in a toaster oven?
Yes, pie tin can go in a toaster oven. These tins are usually oven-safe, and so you can take them inside the toaster oven without issues. Since these toaster ovens are small, the heating elements can be close to the pie’s surface. To avoid burning, you should cover the crust with tin foil after having some color in it.
Can you bake an apple pie in a toaster oven?
Yes, you can bake an apple pie in a toaster oven. Apple pies are easy to make, and you can do it even in a toaster oven. Of course, the flavor will be determined by the items you choose and how fresh they are. The way you bake influences the flavor as well.
Here are some steps you can follow to bake an apple pie in a toaster oven.
- In a mixing basin, combine the flour and salt; chop in the shortening. Slowly add one tablespoon of cold water at a time, stirring gently with a fork until the dough forms a ball. Leave it for a half-hour to cool.
- After allowing it to rest for 30 minutes, roll the cold dough into a 10-inch circle. It is strongly advised to roll the dough out on a floured surface, such as a giant cutting board (this will prevent the dough from sticking to the surface). Next, place the rolled dough in a 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine the apple and lemon juice in a mixing dish. Separately, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Combine the apple and lemon juice in a mixing dish.
- After mixing all of the ingredients, pour into the crust and dot with butter.
- Roll out the remaining crust to form the pie’s top. Remove any excess. Seal and flute the edges after placing them over the filling.
- Beat together the egg yolk and the water. Brush it all over the pastry.
- Preheat your favorite toaster oven. For 15 minutes, bake at 425°F. Then decrease the heat to 350°F.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Please share and enjoy!
Can you bake a pumpkin pie in a toaster oven?
Yes, you can bake a pumpkin pie in a toaster oven. The only thing that you should know is that toaster ovens can be pretty small. Thus, you are limited to baking small pumpkin pies that can fit inside.
Here’s a step-by-step process you can follow if you want to bake a pumpkin pie in a toaster oven.
- Remove all of the pumpkin seeds and membrane.
- If you have a lot of pumpkins, cut them up and put a few bits on the inside of each one.
- Heat the pumpkin cubes in the toaster oven until they are soft. At 300 degrees Fahrenheit, it may take 35 to 40 minutes. The settings may differ, so keep an eye out for yours at all times.
- Take the pumpkin slices out of the toaster oven.
- Scrape out all of the meat with a big spoon and place it in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the cream with the pumpkin.
- Puree the filling to a fine paste in a processor.
- To taste, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. It is essential to taste the mixture now before adding the eggs.
- Separately, softly beat the eggs before incorporating them into the pumpkin filling.
- Spread out the pie dough into an aluminum baking pan or a genuine pie tin if you have one that fits in your toaster oven.
- Pour the contents into the pie crust carefully.
- Bake the pie for 10 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until the pie shell turned brown, but the filling was still very liquid.
- Turn down the heat to 300°F for another 20 minutes, or until the top of the filling begins to brown.
- Turn down the heat to 210 degrees Fahrenheit for another 10 to 15 minutes. The top of the pie should be crisp at this stage.
- Take the pie from the toaster oven and allow it to cool.
Aren’t you sure what setting to use, whether to toast or bake? Check our article here.
In a nutshell, you can bake a pie in a toaster oven, and you can do it anytime you want. Toaster ovens can work like kitchen ovens. Further, it’s easy to use and power-efficient. Thus, if you’re making small batches of your favorite pies, you can always consider using your handy toaster oven.
- Making Brownies in a Toaster Oven
- Baking Cupcakes in a Toaster Oven
- Can You Bake Cake in a Toaster Oven?
- Baking Biscuits and Cookies in a Toaster Oven
- Can You Bake Bread in a Toaster Oven?
Image credits – Canva