Cakes are one of the best desserts and treats we enjoy all the time. It’s a perfect choice for every occasion, but it can seem challenging to prepare. Another thing is that it needs tools like an oven, which most of us don’t have. Thus, if you don’t have an oven, but you want a cake, you may ask:
Can you bake a cake in a toaster oven? Yes, you can bake a cake in a toaster oven. This type of oven works the same way a typical oven works. The only thing is that it’s smaller, so you can only make small cakes in it.
In this article, we’ll walk you through all the frequently asked questions about baking a cake in a toaster oven and answer them. This way, you can have everything you need to know before baking your cake in your handy toaster oven.
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- Can you make cake in a toaster oven?
- How to bake a cake in a toaster oven?
- What temperature do you bake a cake in a toaster oven?
- How long to bake a cake in a toaster oven?
- Can you make a mug cake in a toaster oven?
- Can you bake a bundt cake in a toaster oven?
- Can you cook a cake mix in a toaster oven?
Can you make cake in a toaster oven?
Yes, you can bake small cakes in a toaster oven. However, you’re limited to baking small cakes because the size of toaster ovens is smaller than regular ones.
Now, if you’re baking a cake for two, or even for yourself, you can enjoy it with a handy toaster oven. Besides that, you can also enjoy the following benefits of baking in a toaster oven:
- Lesser mess to clean
- Quicker preparation and baking time
- Energy saving
- Simple use and directions
So, in a nutshell, you can bake small cakes in a toaster oven, and you can enjoy many benefits from doing so. The only downside is that your cooking time and temperature can be tricky to control. Thus, you need to keep an eye on your cake to make sure you have it in control.
Do you want to learn more about baking in a toaster oven? Read our article here.
How to bake a cake in a toaster oven?
If you want to bake a cake in a toaster oven, you can follow these steps as your guide and directions.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Allowing the oven to heat up for 10 minutes is an important step that should never be skipped. Thus, the first step toward an evenly cooked cake is a fully warmed toaster oven.
- Butter should be used to grease the pan. This step should be done before pouring the cake batter into the pan.
- Fill only 2/3 of the pan with batter to allow for rising. If you load the pan to the brim with batter, it will rise and reach the top of the oven or contact the oven’s heating elements.
- Place the pan in a preheated oven. To reduce heat loss, open the toaster oven door as quickly as possible.
- Every few minutes, check on the batter. When the batter has risen, which is generally about halfway through the baking time, open the toaster oven and rotate the pan 180° to ensure equal baking.
- Use a thin layer of aluminum foil to cover the pan. Do this step to keep the top of the cake from burning as it cooks underneath.
- Using a cake tester or toothpick, check the doneness of the cake. Your cake is ready if it comes out clean. The baking time for toaster oven cakes is determined by several factors, including the heating system of your oven and the size of your pan.
- Remove the cake from the oven and set it aside to cool before removing it from the pan.
- In no time, your small cake should be fully baked and ready to consume!
What temperature do you bake a cake in a toaster oven?
You should bake a cake in a toaster oven with a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Once your cake rises, you can turn it down to 180 degrees Fahrenheit while covering the cake with foil. This step ensures thorough cooking while protecting the cake’s outer layer from getting burnt.
How long to bake a cake in a toaster oven?
It should take around 20 to 24 minutes to bake a cake in a toaster oven. However, the baking time may vary depending on the recipe of your cake and the temperature your toaster oven has.
To ensure that your cake is well-cooked, you can use a toothpick and stick it in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean or only with a few crumbs, it means your cake is cooked and done.
After taking it out of the toaster oven, allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack and continue cooling. In total, it should take at least 30-34 minutes to bake a cake in a toaster oven.
Can you make a mug cake in a toaster oven?
Yes, you can make a mug cake in a toaster oven. Mug cakes are often baked in a microwave, but you can also do it in a toaster oven. If you want to do so, you can follow these steps as your guide and directions.
- Set your toaster oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and preheat it for 5-10 minutes.
- If you wish to remove it from the cup after baking, spray it with cooking spray.
- In a large oven or microwave-safe mug, combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda) with a fork or whisk.
- Mix in the milk, oil, vanilla, and egg, if using, until thoroughly combined, paying great attention to the bottom of the mug.
- If using, stir in chocolate chips or other sweets.
- Start baking at 350°F for 15-25 minutes, depending on how hot your toaster oven cooks and if you want a molten or cooked cake.
- Please keep in mind that the cup will be pretty hot, and the cake will continue to cook for a few minutes after you take it from the oven. If preferred, serve with ice cream, chocolate or caramel syrup, whipped cream, or other toppings.
Can you bake a bundt cake in a toaster oven?
As long as your bundt pan fits your toaster oven, it should be alright. As I mentioned earlier, toaster ovens work the same as traditional ovens, although smaller in size.
For this reason, you’ll want to use a small bundt pan to make sure it fits in your toaster oven. Further, make sure to watch out for your cake, especially if the top and bottom of the pan are near the heating bars.
If so, you may want to lower the temperature a bit and adjust the cooking time longer. This way, you can avoid burnt edges and uncooked parts inside your bundt cake.
Can you cook a cake mix in a toaster oven?
Yes, you can cook a cake mix in a toaster oven. Most cake mix manufacturers have a set of instructions written for both traditional and toaster ovens.
However, if your cake mix doesn’t have specific instructions for toaster ovens, you can simply take it down a bit. You can lower the temperature or adjust the baking time.
Another thing is you should keep an eye on your cake so you can take it out if it starts browning or at least add a cover to maintain the heat as you wait for the inside to cook thoroughly.
To toast or bake? That’s the question. And we answer it right here.
So, can you bake a cake in a toaster oven? Yes, you can bake a cake in a toaster oven. As I mentioned earlier, these ovens work in the same way any oven does. However, you’re limited to baking small cakes due to their small size.
Other than that, you can enjoy more benefits when you use toaster ovens when baking cakes. As long as you keep an eye on your cake and follow your preferred recipe, you can enjoy a cake anytime you want with a toaster oven.
- Making Brownies in a Toaster Oven
- Baking Cupcakes in a Toaster Oven
- Baking Biscuits and Cookies in a Toaster Oven
- Can You Bake Pie in a Toaster Oven?
- Can You Bake Bread in a Toaster Oven?
Image credits – Canva