The easiest thing to make when you don’t have much in the fridge is some vegetable soup.. And this recipe indeed is one I made with vegetables I had left.
Therefore, this is just an indication of what you could use – definitely don’t be afraid to modify this recipe according to what you have in your fridge!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For the soup:
- 5 organic carrots
- 5 organic mushrooms
- 1/2 of organic onion
- 1 cup (250ml) of cooked organic chickpeas
- 1 cup of organic diced tomatoes
- 1/2 of an organic cauliflower
- 2-3 kales leaves
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic celeriac
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of nutritional yeast
- 4 cups (1L) of water
- Salt and pepper
For the cashew cream
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic cashews
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of water
- To prepare your cream, pre soak your cashews for 15 minutes. Then put them in the blender with the water until you get a creamy texture.
- Coarsely chop all your vegetable.
- In a medium pot, heat a bit of oil and stir in your onion for 2 minutes. Add in the mushrooms, the carrots, the chickpeas, the cauliflower, the kale and the celeriac. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Incorporate the tomatoes, the nutritional yeast, the water and add some salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes. When your veggies are tender, cream them with a hand mixer or a blender.
- Serve with some cashew cream and fresh pepper!
What do our readers say about this recipe?
“lovely soup that hits the spot!”
“I always make this to go with my Smoky tofu. Super easy and tastes very good.”
“Delicious ! Ate all week ! :)”
“This soup is just fantastic.”
“Very nice! I added 1/2 cup of frozen corn, 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, 1/2 cup cannellini beans and sauteed the veggies for 4 minutes before adding everything else. It’s a great way to use up all the odds and ends in the fridge.”
“I love this recipe! Tastes like a chinese takeout vegetarian version :)”
“My kids LOVE this soup. It tastes like you are having Chinese takeout.”
“One of my favorites on the blog so far. I have tried many recipes using cashews, but this one is the best so far. SIMPLY EXCELLENT!”
“This is the best vegan soup I’ve ever had! My non-vegan boyfriend gobbled it down, saying he didn’t even realize it was vegan!”
“love this soup, thanks again for the recipe!! :)”
“I love this soup. I use extra veggies & chickpeas & leave out the celeriac. But this is my go to recipe when I have last nights vegetables to use up.”
“It’s great to have a simple, flavorful recipe to make with what you have available in your kitchen. I made the cashew cream separately and added it in later.”
“”This is fantastic! I used vegetable stock instead of water and corn instead of cauliflower. My children loved it, too. Definitely making it again.”
“This soup is amazing! I threw in some potatoes to make it super filling.”