Welcome to a heartwarming journey through the flavors of a homely cabbage soup. Perfect for any season, this recipe blends the rustic charm of fire-roasted tomatoes with the earthy goodness of fresh vegetables.
Whether you’re seeking comfort on a chilly evening or a nourishing meal to share with friends, this cabbage soup, coupled with your favorite bread, promises a simple yet satisfying culinary experience.
How to Prepare Cabbage Soup
- Start the Flavor Base: Begin by heating two tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Then add the chopped carrots, diced yellow onion, diced celery rib, ¾ teaspoon of sea salt, and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Stir these occasionally and cook for about 8 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add Vinegar and Tomatoes: Pour in two tablespoons of white wine vinegar, give it a stir, and then mix in the two cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes. The vinegar will add a nice tanginess that complements the smoky flavor of the tomatoes.
- Combine Remaining Ingredients: To the pot, add four cups of vegetable broth, a can of drained and rinsed cooked white beans, grated garlic cloves, diced Yukon gold potatoes, chopped green cabbage, and a teaspoon of dried thyme. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. The soup should be left to simmer until the potatoes and cabbage are tender and infused with the flavors.
- Final Touches: After the vegetables are cooked to your liking, season the soup according to your taste preferences. Finish by garnishing it with freshly chopped parsley. This not only adds color but a burst of fresh flavor to the dish.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 celery rib diced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 14.5-ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15.5-ounce can cooked white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves grated
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes diced
- 1 small green cabbage about 1 pound (9 cups chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Begin Sautéing Vegetables: In a large pot, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Toss in the carrots, onion, celery, a sprinkle of sea salt, and a few twists of black pepper. Cook these while occasionally stirring for about 8 minutes until they soften.
- Mix in Vinegar and Tomatoes: Next, add the white wine vinegar into the pot, give it a quick stir, then fold in the fire-roasted diced tomatoes. This combination will infuse a tangy-smoky flavor into the soup.
- Combine All Ingredients: Now, pour in the vegetable broth, white beans, grated garlic, diced potatoes, chopped cabbage, and dried thyme. Cover the pot and allow it to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. The soup is ready when the potatoes and cabbage are tender and flavorful.
- Season and Serve: Once the vegetables are cooked through, taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Garnish your hearty cabbage soup with fresh parsley for a vibrant finishing touch. Enjoy your comforting meal!
How to Store Cabbage Soup
To keep this delightful cabbage soup fresh, allow it to cool completely before storing. Place the soup in airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 5 days. For longer storage, freeze the soup in freezer-safe containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. It can be kept frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove or in the microwave. Stir well while reheating to ensure even warmth.