Even though this was supposed to be a recipe for muffins, the taste was too heavy for little cakes. Therefore, I tried to make bars out of this and it went surprisingly well.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2tbsp. (30ml) of organic grounded flax seeds
- 6 tbsp. (90ml) of water
- 1/3 cup (83ml) organic sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of organic oatmeal flour
- 3tbsp. (45ml) of organic tapioca starch
- 3tbsp. (45ml) of organic arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of quinoa flour
- 3/4 cup (187.5ml) of coconut flour
- 2tsp. (10ml) of xanthan gum
- 2/3 cup (160ml) of organic cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of baking soda
- 2 tsp. (10ml) of baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (83 ml) of organic sunflower oil
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) of almond milk
- 1tsp. (5ml) of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of vanilla
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic walnuts
- 1/4 cup(62.5ml) of dried organic cranberries
- 1/3 cup (83 ml) of organic sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic amaranth puffs
- Preheat you oven to 375º.
- In a small bowl, combine the grounded flax seed and the water and let it stand for 10 minutes until it get thick like eggs.
- In a medium bowl, put together the sorghum flour, the oatmeal flour, the quinoa flour, the tapioca starch, the arrowroot starch, the coconut flour, the xanthan gum, the cocoa powder, the baking soda, the baking powder, the salt and the brown sugar.
- In an another bowl, mix the bananas, the sunflower oil, the almond milk, the vinegar, the vanilla.
- When it’s all well blended, add the flour mix, the walnuts, the cranberries and the amaranth puff.
- On a cookie sheet, spread the dough evenly. Use your hands, it will be easier. Than to make sure it was the same thickness everywhere, about an inch (1″), I used a pie dough roller.
- Put it in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- When you remove it, let it cool for about 5 minutes before you cut. Place the piece on a wire rack to finish the cooling.
What do our readers say about this?
“what a great recipe! I made this with gluten free flour and it is absolutely delicious. My 3 year old daughter loves it too! I used the same recipe for muffins and they turned out great! Thank you so much!”
“I was skeptical about these because of many of the reviews but my husband wanted me to make them. I did a little changing, using a banana instead of applesauce and doubling the amount of bananas, adding walnuts and cranberries. It was easy to make and tasted amazing. We had to stop our daughter from eating too many.”
“I was looking for a recipe that would be dairy free and still taste good. I was actually surprised, it tasted great! Very moist too.”
“This is delicious, but the muffins are gummy. Will try again using your method for baking bars.”