My mum used to make us stuffed zucchinis why we were having BBQ when I was a little kid with ground meat and grated cheese on top. So when I was thinking about what should I make on my own BBQ this week, I remembered this recipe and just modified it to make it vegan. After making the last one, I learnt that that was the only one left for me, so I suppose it went well. Enjoy it!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 6 zucchinis
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic red lentils
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) of water
- 1 cup (250ml) of cooked organic rice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic raisins
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of curry powder
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- In a small pot, put your lentils in salty water and cook them for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. I find that salt makes a big difference in the taste when you add it during the cooking.
- In the meantime, cut the zucchinis in half and empty the soft part in the middle. It will make like little boats.
- When the lentils are cooked, add the raisins, the curry powder, the nutritional yeast and the cooked rice and stir well.
- Fill the zucchinis with the lentil mix and put a drizzle of olive oil on them.
- Heat the BBQ and put the zucchinis on the grill for about 10 minutes.
- Serve them with a salad or some raw vegetables.
What do our readers say about this recipe?
“That looks delicious! I love that you add lentils to boost the protein in the dish. I also love that you included nutritional yeast in the recipe. The flavor of this dish is wonderful and very healthy!”
“Presentation is great! This dish looks delicious and it would make a nice addition to a cookout. This dish looks easy to prepare and is full of healthy ingredients.”
“This recipe looks great!! And it’s simple! I’ve been trying to add more protein into my diet but always seems to be lacking. If I could find foods with enough protein, they’re too expensive for me right now. Cooking at home helps get around that problem, but there’s still issues with frying food, etc.”
“I’m a vegetarian and would love to try this. I’ve been looking for tasty alternatives to meat and have had some luck with beans but never lentils. Thanks for sharing.”
“Hi Diane, I am going to have to try this recipe! I think it is a great idea that you did a stuffed zuchini recipe with lentils! With the BBQ season here, this would be a great recipe for it!”
“Diane, This looks awesome! Love the idea of using zucchinis as boats… This will be added to my recipes list.”
Last note called: Title: Zucchinis with lentils/Title: Grilled stuffed zucchinis
My mum used to make us stuffed zucchinis why we were having BBQ when I was a little kid with ground meat and grated cheese on top. So when I was thinking about what should I make on my own BBQ this week, I remembered this recipe and just modified it to make it vegan. After making the last one, I learnt that that was the only one left for me, so I suppose it went well.