Sushi without rice is not sushi! So it was what I used to think and mostly, how can it hold? If you think there is nothing else than rice, well there is other alternative and certainly healthier. Quinoa is rich in protein and fibre. It also contain great vitamins and minerals like iron, magnesium and manganese but these are only a few of what you will get from it. White rice contains starch and to make sushi you have to add vinegar and sugar. It’s not hard to make an healthy choice!
In my sushis, I wanted raw food. I made a vegan cheese and a nice raw nut pulp pate. I had made some nut milk over the weekend and I had some left overs.
A little story about this recipe. I tested it the night before writing about it since it was my first time making it. I redo it the next day so I can take pictures. While I assemble it, I keep telling myself that there is something missing. When I think I’m ready to roll I realize that the quinoa is missing. The thing is that it’s the second thing to put on the nori sheet. It’s like forgetting the rice! 🙂
I will write down the ingredients I put in mine, but sky is the limit in with the food you can choose.
You will need:
- A nori sheet
- Nut cheese
- Cooked quinoa
- Nut pulp pate
- Dill (or any herb)
- A fresh plum
- You have to start by preparing you food by making thin long pieces. Mine are usually about 3″ long.
- Put down one nori sheet. Spread a little bit of the nut cheese. It has to cover 1/2 of your nori. It you cover more, you may not be able to roll it.
- Then spread over the quinoa as evenly as possible. Not too much, about 1/4 of an inch.
- Put the balance of ingredients over. Always remember that you have to roll it and if you put too much, it might be hard.
- To close it, put a bit of water at the end so it can stick.
- Cut your roll in 1″ pieces. You will get about 6 of them.
Serve them as you would with any regular sushis! Enjoy!