Beetroots is another root vegetable available pretty much at any moment of the year at a very good price most of the time. It is also among my favourites! :-) The red ones are sweeter than the yellow ones or the red and white.
We never have enough salad ideas. In the past 2 years, I realized I only posted three beet recipes. The creamy beet salad recipe, the beet and hummus in layer and my raw beet salad. It is one of the veggies kids love the most because of it’s sweet taste. It is an excellent source of folic acids and a good source of fibre, manganese and potassium. If you have the chance to get the leaves when you buy them, you can cook them like spinach or just add them to your salad if they are not to big, smaller, the more tender.
Today I’m adding a new one my mom used to make but my variation is to add cilantro to the traditional parsley for the fresh herb. You can put anything you like, I know not everybody like cilantro because of it’s strong taste. I used for this recipe 2 huge beets but you could use 4 medium ones.
Preparation: 15 minutes
- 2 cooked organic beets
- 1/3 cup (83.3ml) of finely chopped organic parsley
- 1/3 cup (83.3ml) of finely chopped organic cilantro
- 1 finely chopped organic shallot
- 1 organic garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5ml) of curry (it can be more, it’s really up to your taste)
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) of organic olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp. (22.5ml) of organic apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Dice you beets in small cubes. It is always nicer to bite in small pieces.
- In a salad bowl, combine the parsley, the cilantro, the shallot, the garlic, the curry, the olive oil, the vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Stir in your beets and set aside so the flavours blend or you can serve right away! Great if you have guests, it can be a “make ahead” recipe.