Want something different for lunch?… Try a “No-eggs salad”!
There can be several reasons why you decide not to have eggs. It can either be because of a food intolerance, you want to find alternatives to animal products or simply that you chose a vegan diet.
For lunch, I decided to make sandwiches with my tofu block I had sitting in the fridge. Actually, it was pretty much what was left in it because I was “overdue” for grocery.
This is just even more simple than making egg salad because you don’t have to boil your eggs and then wait until they are cool enough to be manipulated. 🙂
Preparation time: 15 minute
- 1/2 block or 225g of organic tofu
- 1 finely chopped organic celery stalk
- 1/2 finely chopped organic red bell pepper (or any colour)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of finely chopped fresh parsley (or any fresh herb)
- 1 medium grated organic carrot
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of organic lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of plain almond yogurt
- salt and pepper
- Organic nori sheets
- Rice sheets
- Dice your tofu and put it in a small food processor, pulse until you get a crumbled texture, close to a traditional egg salad.
- Now, prepare your salad dressing in a small bowl, you combine the mayo, the yogurt, the turmeric, the lemon juice, the salt and the pepper.
- Put in a medium bowl, the crumbled tofu, the celery stalk, the bell pepper, the parsley and the nutritional yeast.
- Now, you just have to assemble your tofu mix with your dressing. Leave it aside for 5 minutes, so the flavours can blend. There it is, just as simple as that!
Then I made a roll. I rehydrated the rice sheet under warm water, I put the Nori sheet, spread some salad, add some shredded carrot and some lettuce. If you want you can put a tiny bit of your favourite dressing or simply add a drizzle of lemon and season it with a bit of salt and pepper.
I wrapped it like I do for my regular sandwiches. If you don’t eat it right away, make sure you put it in plastic wrap because it dries fast.
It makes a really light lunch and still very filling. It is also low-carb since you have no bread. I love it!