I’m starting a series of post where I’ll be working with all the nice veggies we are getting from our garden, our local farm or all the different farmers markets. Vegetables should not only be used as a side dish. There are different ways to use them, not only in a salad or your soups. You can have them for breakfast as well as for dessert and have your kids will eat them throughout the day without even noticing that they are having them. :-)
But today, I’m just starting it simple. I made a salad, but for me it was a different way of having one of my favourite root vegetable. “The beet”. I usually have it cooked. I always had them that way, and today I tried them raw. It was so tasty!!! Using also two fresh herbs which are mint and basil. I only had two big beets, but you can adjust for the amount of people you want to serve.
Everybody loved it!!!!
Preparation: 15 minutes
Yield: 3 people
- 2 big organic beets
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of organic fresh basil
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) of organic fresh mint
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) of organic hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) of organic dried blueberries
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of olive oil
- Juice and rind of 1/2 of an organic lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Finely chop the basil and the mint.
- Zest the lemon and then juice it.
- In the food processor, grate you beets.
- In a salad bowl, combine the grated beets, the hemp seeds, the dried blueberries, the olive oil, the lemon juice, the zest, the fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Toss your salad leave it aside for 10 minutes so all the flavours can blend.
- Very easy to make. Raw and healthy!!!