If we need ideas in winter for soups, it becomes the same in summer for salad! We want to have a variety as much as for our side dish as for a brunch table. The other day I pre-cooked some quinoa for my Triple quinoa and chocolate muffins but I still had some left over. Quinoa is as great hot as it is cold. You could even put it hot and make a warm salad. It’s really good and it brings out flavours even more!
Here I give you an idea of vegetables combination, but it really depends on what you have. I’m lucky to get a weekly veggie basket from my local farm so I get a great variety.
For example, the garlic scape, in season now, is the garlic flower before it opens. It has a great garlic taste but not as strong. You can use it in salads but also in your stir fries. I only discovered that when I started getting those basket and now I wait for them every early summers! 🙂
Another really easy recipe ready in a few minutes. It contains proteins, veggies, so there go a complete salad! I had it two days in a row, I just love it!!! 🙂
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup (250ml) of pre-cooked organic quinoa
- 1/2 (125ml) of an organic avocado
- 3 organic radishes
- 1/2 of an organic bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (250ml) of diced raw yellow zucchini
- 1 organic green onion
- 2 garlic scapes
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of baby onion shoots
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic cilantro
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic raw kale
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic chick peas (or any legume you like)
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of olive oil
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of organic lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Dice your avocado, radishes, bell pepper and zucchini. Place your ingredient in a salad bowl.
- Slice the green onion, the garlic scapes, the cilantro and the kale. Add them to the other ingredients.
- Put in the chick peas and the onion shoots.
- Add 2 tbsp. of olive oil and squeeze in the juice the lemon, use your fingers to catch any pips.
- Toss your salad very well so all the flavours can blend. Wait 5 minutes before serving so you get the most out of it!
It really is a refreshing salad with this combination of lemon and cilantro.