I don’t know if you are like me, but I’m always looking for new bread recipes. I just start by looking at what flours I have and than I combine. This time I wanted to make something a bit different for breakfast. I mean during the week, we are used to bread, muffins … But what about surprising my family by stuffing bread with something as smooth, creamy and healthy as a date puree! I know I used it in my previous recipe “Chocolate and nut spread“, but it had to be something healthy, especially for breakfast.
Buckwheat is a great seed rich in protein and mineral, which is so great to start of your day. By biting in it, the kids have great fun finding something sweet is hidden in it. Let not forget about healthy fats such as olive oil and avocado. Don’t worry, you won’t feel like you’re having a salad for breakfast!!! 🙂
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Rising time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of organic grounded flax seeds
- 1 1/4 cup (312.5ml) +6 tbsp. of lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 tbsp. (22.5ml) of yeast
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of organic cane sugar
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) of organic agave syrup
- 1 ripe mashed avocado
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic oat flour
- 1 cup (250ml) of buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of white rice flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of tapioca flour
- 2 tsp. (10ml) of xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7.5ml) of salt
- 1 cup (250ml) of chopped organic dates + 5 tbsp. (75ml) of water
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of walnuts
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic dried blueberries
- Mix in 1 1/4 cup of water, the yeast and the sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix 2tbsp. of grounded flax seeds with 6 tbsp. of water and put aside for also 10 minutes until it’s thick and gummy (that’s my egg replacer).
- In a small pot, cook 1 cup of chopped organic dates + 5 tbsp. of water for about a minute or two, then it turn into a puree. I used a hand mixer to make it even smoother and lighter, but that’s optional. You could also put it in a small food processor like hand chopper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oat flour, the buckwheat flour, the white rice flour, the tapioca flour, the xanthan gum and the salt.
- Add in the yeast in the water, the olive oil, the mashed avocado, the agave syrup and the grounded flax seeds. Mix it for about 5 minutes.
- Put in the walnuts and the dried blueberries and continue to mix for a minute or until it’s all well blended.
- For this recipe, I used a mini loaf pan that contained 8 loafs (3 1/2″x2″ ea.). You could do it on a regular loaf pan, but you’d have to adjust the cooking time to about an hour.
- I put a layer of dough which is about 2 tbsp., then a layer of dates puree and cover with another layer of dough. if you use a regular bread tin, you could do half and half of dough. Put it aside in a warm place for rising (I put it in the microwave with a cup of hot water) for about 2 hrs.
- Preheat your oven to 350º.
- When the size has doubled, put it in the oven for 50-55 minutes.
- When you take it out of the oven, let it cool for 5 minutes before you transfer it on a wired rack to continue the cooling.
You don’t need to add anything on it to enjoy the great taste!!!