With all these chemicals added to all the chocolate spreads, I don’t buy them anymore. Even getting the organic ones, they still contain some added fats that are not necessarily healthier, even if organic, like palm oil.
I had in mind to make one that would not contain added sugar either. With cocoa powder and dark chocolate, I had to find a healthy way to make it a bit sweet, so I thought of replacing the sugar by dates. When I mentioned my idea of cutting on the sugar, I got comments from the kids that it would not be as good as their old “Nutella”. It is different, but in the end they just thought it was amazing. They loved it!!! 🙂
Another tip is to put your nuts still hot in your food processor. The oils are going to come out more easily which will make it more flavourful.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic Medjool dates + 5 tbsp. (75ml) of water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) organic chocolate chunks
- 1 cup (250ml) raw organic hazelnuts
- 1 cup (250ml) raw organic almonds
- 1/2 cup (125ml) raw organic walnuts
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) unsweetened organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) organic coconut oil
- Preheat your oven at 350º.
- On a cookie sheet, spread the hazelnuts, the almonds, the walnuts and put them in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook your dates with the water for 5 minutes in a small pot.
- When it’s all in puree, melt in your chocolate chunks, the coconut oil and stir in the cocoa powder.
- When your nuts are roasted, put them in the food processor and mix until you see it starts to turn into butter, about 3-4 minutes. I find it’s faster when the nuts are still hot compared to cold ones.
- Add in the chocolate and continue mixing until it’s a paste. Put in the almond milk and you will get a nice smooth texture, really spreadable.
There you have a nice healthy spread to put on your morning toast. You have proteins and fibers. So much better than store bought ones!