I’ve been blogging for a year now. When I first started, I just wanted to share my recipes with some people. I didn’t really have a goal, no photography experience. Now my goal is to give alternatives to meat to reduce our environmental impact and improve our health, make you discover food, spices, herbs… and more important, have fun in the kitchen.
Today, I made a cereal recipe. Breakfast is always a challenge. You want a variety,if you want healthy food to start the day and sometimes organic cereals can be pricy. By making them, you reduce the cost and increase the quality.
I gave you a basic recipe, but you can change the ingredients as you feel or depending on what you have.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 3 cups (750ml) of organic oat flakes
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of grounded cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic amaranth puffs
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of chopped organic hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of chopped organic almonds
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of organic chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic raisins
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of chopped organic dates
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of organic melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of maple syrup
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of vanilla
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of chia seeds
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of chopped organic 70% dark chocolate chunks (or chips)
- Preheat your oven to 350º.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oat flakes, the cocoa powder, the cinnamon, the amaranth puffs and the salt.
- Add in the chopped hazelnuts, the, chopped almonds, the chopped walnuts, the raisins, the dates, the melted coconut oil, the maple syrup, the vanilla and the lemon zest. Mix until it’s all well blended.
- Put a parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and spread you mix evenly.
- Cook it in the oven for about 45 minutes. Mix every 15 minutes.
- When you remove it from the oven, add the chia seed, the hemp seeds and the chocolate chunk. I add it at the end so they stay raw and keep all their nutrients.
- Let your cereals cool before storing them.
Easy make ahead breakfast!