Sunday afternoon, it’s actually pretty windy with flurries after the rain we had on Saturday. The kids had their ski lessons so we had no other choice than to go to the mountain. I could say we were “wet”. But it was rather comfortable. It would have been nicer without all this water but they enjoyed themselves.
Today I just felt like cooking. Actually, I’m getting ready to start off the week. I’m preparing Monday’s breakfast by preparing some nice fresh muffins. One rare thing, there’s no chocolate! :-) The reason why I call it fruit salad, is just that it’s a fun name and it combines 3 fruits. Blueberries, bananas and orange juice. It is just because there are different fruits. You could actually put any berries you want, but I had blueberries in the freezer. Since we leave in nordic temperatures, berries are expensive and come from too far, sometimes they’re even rotten before they get on the shelves so we wait for the season.
For 12 muffins
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-28 minutes
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of grounded organic flax seeds
- 6 tbsp. (180ml) of water
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic oat flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic amaranth flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic millet flour
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic corn starch
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic almond powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1tsp. (5ml) of xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. (5ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5ml) baking soda
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of melted organic coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic sunflower oil
- 1 ripe organic banana
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic orange juice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic sunflower seeds
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- In a small bowl combine the flax seeds and the water. Set aside for 10 minutes until it thickens.
- In a medium bowl combine the oat flour, the amaranth flour, the millet flour, the corn starch, the almond powder, the salt, the xanthan gum, the baking powder and the baking soda.
- Beat together the banana and the brown sugar.
- When it’s all blended, add in the coconut oil, the sunflower oil and the flax seeds mix and continue to mix until you get a smooth texture.
- Gradually incorporate the flour mix and then add the orange juice.
- Add in the blueberries and the sunflower.
- Put the batter in a muffin pan and cook for 25-28 minutes or until your knife comes out clean.
You can have them with some tea or coffee in the morning or as an healthy snack when you have a small space in your stomach! :-)