After the holidays, I don’t know if you are like me, but I need something light to eat and I find raw vegetables make me feel like they are cleaning all the excess of food I ate during this time of the year. Maybe it’s in my mind but at least I’m having something good. 🙂
This is a fresh colourful carrot salad you can have at any time. You can make a lot, and keep it for a good two days. It is made with this root vegetable we eat a lot in winter because it is the most available, I guess we have no choice but to like it. 🙂
It is also a great idea to put this salad on the table for any brunch, since it can be made ahead of time.
Onions are a good source of phytosterols as you can see on Benefits of Phytosterols.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Set aside for 15 minutes
- 3 organic carrots
- 3 organic parsnips
- 2 small organic red onions
- 1 tbsp.(15ml) of chia seeds
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) of organic parsley
- 4 tbsp. (60ml) of olive oil plus more for the onions
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of organic apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- To prepare the red onion, you will need to thinly slice them and put them on a plate. Cover them with a little bit of oil and add a bit of salt. Do the same on the other side. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, you will need to shred the carrots and the parsnips.
- Put them in a salad bowl. Add the parsley , the chia seeds, the oil, the vinegar the salt and the pepper.
- Stir the salad and add the onions.
It will taste better if you let it marinate for 15-20 minute, if you don’t have time, you can eat it right away.
Enjoy it at lunch or as a side dish! Very tasty!