On this one I was told by my kids that they were not good but they were “Amazing”! You can hardly know that those are gluten free. I am not saying that those are super healthy but they are a treat. They are soft and tender and I find that adding walnuts cuts the sweetness a bit and also adds a nice crunch. If you’re looking for cookies to make for the holidays, this recipe is a nice one.
I used chocolate chunks, but chocolate chips are just fine, as long as you get a good quality because you do taste it a lot. You could easily replace the vegan butter by coconut oil or cocoa butter, but I add none left.
I also made my roasted walnuts by just putting raw ones in a dry pan and over medium heat, I just waited until they started to roast. You can also put them in raw, but I find they are crunchier.
For 12 cookies
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic 70% chocolate chunks or chips
- 4 tbsp. (60ml) of vegan butter
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of organic grounded flax seeds
- 6 tbsp. (90ml) of water
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic brown sugar
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (187.5ml) of organic oatmeal flour
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5ml) of baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic dry roasted walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350º.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seeds and the water and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a small pot, melt the chocolate and the butter. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the oatmeal flour, the brown sugar, the arrowroot starch, the baking powder and the salt.
- Incorporate the melted chocolate and the grounded flax seeds mix. Stir well. Add in the walnut and continue to mix until all your ingredients are all blended.
- Put about 1 tbsp. of batter per cookie on a pan.
- Cook them in the oven for about 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven.
- When you take them out of the oven, let them cool a bit before you transfer them on a wire rack. If you don’t, they might brake.
- Last step is to eat them. Enjoy!