Yes I am sick! I have a cold, so is a big part of my family. It started last week with my 5 years old son and he passed it on. The best thing when we are sick is to eat onions. The next few post will include ways to make and eat raw onions, and the most important is to have recipes that KIDS will eat. Not only onions but eating raw vegetables to keep the most out of the vitamins and the nutriments is a very good way to help getting better.
As very often I give quantities for our family of 6, but you adjust according to your need.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 1 organic onion (it can be yellow or red)
- 8 organic carrots
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic raisins
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) of olive oil+more to cover your onions (about 3-4 tbsp.)
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of organic cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Thinly slice your onion and put them on a plate. Cover them with oil and sprinkle with salt. Set them aside for about 15 minutes. This will help to get rid of the strong taste. My kids appreciate onions like that.
- In the meantime, grate your carrots and put them in a salad bowl.
- Add in the hemp seeds, the raisins, the olive oil, the vinegar, some salt and pepper.
- Stir in the onions and let your salad marinate for 5 minutes or more before serving.
This is very quick and easy to make, especially if your not feeling the greatest to cook! :-)