This recipe is one that reminds me of my childhood. My mom used to make in on cold winter nights and every time I make it it reminds me of when I was a child. You can make it vegan by using a vegan cheese to grate it.
It was a cold rainy evening and the wind was blowing, and my kids were so happy when I said we were having that for supper! I made it for 6 people but I’m giving you the recipe for 3-4 people.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) of sunflower oil
- 4 big organic yellow onions
- 2tbsp. (30ml) of gluten free flour (optional)
- 1 bottle of gluten free beer
- 1 cup (250ml) of vegetable broth
- Emmental cheese or Vegan cheese
- Toasted sliced of gluten free bread (2 slices per person)
- Salt and pepper
- Thinly slice your onions
- In a pot, heat the oil and stir in the onion to cook them for about 5 minutes. Put in the flour and mix it with the onions until they’re all covered. The flour is optional but I like to have a smooth texture for this soup.
- Add in the beer, the vegetable broth, salt and pepper. Let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast your bread and tear it in big pieces. Put the pieces in each bowl.
- Pour in the soup in each bowl and cover with a bit of cheese.
- Grate it in the oven for 5 minutes or until golden.