The root vegetables are in season from now until the firsts vegetables next spring. So we have to find different ways of eating them because that’s what’s available at a descent price during winter season. They are also a great concentration of vitamins.
This beet salad was really a great salad. The flavour coming out of it was amazing and different. The sweetness of the beets, mixed with the sesame was really good. I usually add tahini the most in hummus, but I never thought of using it to add a creamy texture.
I found in my pantry some dried turmeric root I bought a while ago. I’m telling you, there is a world of difference in the flavour between grounded turmeric we usually buy. It didn’t take much, thats why there’s no quantity. I got the Philipe de Vienne Spicetrekkers spices. Him and his wife are really passionate.
With it, I made tamari roasted walnuts. It was the first time I made it right. Every time it was just burning. It really added a nice crunch to my salad.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 8 small organic beets
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of organic finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of olive oil
- 2 tsp. (5ml) of tahini
- Juice of 1/2 of an organic lemon
- 1 organic garlic clove
- Salt and pepper
- Roasted organic walnuts (optional)
- Start cooking your beets. It usually takes about 20 minutes, but it depends on the size of them.
- To roast the walnuts, you have to get a dry non-stick pan and over medium heat, put your walnut. Then add your tamari sauce. Shake them because they will stick. When it’s dry, remove them from the heat and either transfer them in another non-stick pan or wash the one you have before putting back the walnuts. Put them back over medium heat to continue the roasting shaking them regularly until you start to hear a light whistle. Remove them from the heat and transfer them in a bowl.
- In your salad bowl, combine the olive oil, the tahini, the lemon juice and beat until you get an emulsion.
- Dice your beets and add them to your vinaigrette. Put the garlic, the turmeric, the salt and the pepper and stir until they’re covered with this creamy sauce.
- At the moment to serve, add the walnuts so they keep their crunchy texture.