IT’S TOMATO SEASON!!! It’s the time of the year where we look for all kinds of ways to use this bright red fruit. One way to use it, and a popular one is making “Tomato sauce”. My sauce today was raw.
When we talk about raw food, we automatically think about cold food, like salads. But it is not necessarily the case. This sauce is not only raw, it’s tasty and full flavour. But still, it’s warm. Not hot, because the heat kills a big part of the vitamins, but it is heated by the hot pastas. As long as it’s under 40 °C (104 °F) to 46 °C (115 °F) it is considered as raw, a bit above body temperature.
Making this sauce is so easy and so quick to make, a lot faster to make than traditional tomato sauce. You can even start boiling water for your pastas before you make your sauce.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups (500ml) of fresh organic basil
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of olive oil
- 3 organic garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic walnuts
- 5 fresh ripe organic field tomatoes
- 2 organic finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of finely chopped organic italian parsley
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the Pesto
- In a small food processor, put the basil, the garlic cloves, the walnuts and pulse until finely chopped. Add the olive oil and continue pulsing until you get a smooth texture.
For the tomato sauce
- Dice the tomatoes.
- Combine the garlic cloves, the parsley and the tomatoes in a medium bowl.
- Add the oil, the salt, the pepper and stir until it’s well blended.
- Set it aside for a few minutes, until your pastas are cooked.
Today I used gluten free pastas, so I had to rinse them. When I combined the pesto and the tomato sauce it was a bit cold so I just warmed them over medium heat for 2 minutes.
And it was ready to serve, at least not before I took my pictures! :-)