Last night with the heat I felt like having BBQ. I had zucchinis from my farm last week I had to have before my next basket today. I remember this recipe from when I was a child, except that when my mom used to make them, it was with ground meat and grated cheese on top.
I wanted to modify it to make it vegan for a change. When you make vegan food, you have to think about the proteins to replace and the vitamin B12 you can get in the nutritional yeast. I get them from the lentils in this case.
It is an easy recipe. I even used some rice I had left over from one of this week’s supper. We had it with fresh corn that are still in season and my daughter’s vegetable salad. She just loves cooking, she want to do that when she’s older. (At least for now! :-) ).
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 6 zucchinis
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic red lentils
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) of water
- 1 cup (250ml) of cooked organic rice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic raisins
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of curry powder
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- In a small pot, put your lentils in salty water and cook them for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. I find that salt makes a big difference in the taste when you add it during the cooking.
- In the meantime, cut the zucchinis in half and empty the soft part in the middle. It will make like little boats.
- When the lentils are cooked, add the raisins, the curry powder, the nutritional yeast and the cooked rice and stir well.
- Fill the zucchinis with the lentil mix and put a drizzle of olive oil on them.
- Heat the BBQ and put the zucchinis on the grill for about 10 minutes.
- Serve them with a salad or some raw vegetables.