I know I feel like I repeat myself, but tonight I had to make something quick, and what is quicker than raw. I also know I made a Kale pesto a few months ago, but the difference was that I didn’t have any basil available.
So I had to make a quick supper tonight because I had a lot of work to do today, and not much time to prepare something quick and healthy. I made a vegan version of pesto by replacing parmesan cheese by hemp seeds. I’m not saying it tastes the same, but it gives pretty much the same texture. When you have kale in your hands, especially when you’re in season, you better have it raw so you don’t loose all the nutriments.
In my plate, you don’t see the beautiful green of the pesto because I made it with organic corn spaghetti, but it’s your choice of pastas.
Preparation: 10 minutes
- 4 cups (1000ml) of organic kale
- 2 cup (500ml) of organic basil
- 3 organic garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of olive oil
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of hemp seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the kale’s stem and keep the leaves only. A tip: I use the stem to dip it in hummus while I prepare supper!
- In a food processor, put the kale, the basil and the garlic cloves and pulse until finely chopped.
- Continue mixing and gradually add the olive oil, the hemp seeds, the salt and the pepper. It’s ready when you have a smooth texture.
- There is not much else to do other than to cook your pastas and that’s it, quick and easy!