Like a lot of people, I’ve been enjoying the heat of the summer for the past few week. Cooking a bit but not much, gardening and just relax. That’s why I haven’t been writing much, but I still have ideas in my mind. Slowly but surely getting back in my routine and thinking of our new homeschool year, meaning that I also have to plan the curriculums. But it’s still summer and my kids still need to eat.
I am also on vacation, so I went for already prepared snack from the store. Healthy though :-), but they were missing my homemade food. At least I know they appreciate it, which is always good to know. I was looking for coffee cookies, but I only found recipes with instant coffee in them, something I didn’t have so I decided to make make my flax seeds mix with coffee, and it turned out good. Those are also VERY chocolaty! I got inspired my Martha Stewart’s recipe but as usual I changed a few things.
Makes 18 cookies
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic coconut flour
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic raw cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of organic ground flax seeds
- 6 tbsp. (90ml) of strong espresso coffee
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of vegan butter
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5ml) of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. (1.25ml) of baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of melted organic dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic walnuts
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of vanilla
- 6 tbsp. (90ml) of organic rice milk
- Preheat your oven to 375º.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seeds with 6 tbsp. of espresso coffee and set aside for more or less 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine the rice flour, the coconut flour, the arrowroot starch, the baking powder, the baking soda, the salt and the cocoa powder.
- In a bigger bowl, cream the butter and the sugar. Then gradually add in the flour mix, the melted chocolate, the vanilla, the rice milk, the chocolate chips and the walnuts.
- On a cookie sheet, make your cookies (you might have to make two sheets) and place it in the oven.
- Cook them for approx. 15 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and place them on a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool down.