It was one of those night I could not fall asleep because I had so many ideas of recipes. I was trying to find way to make granola bars and change the type of sugar I usually put in them. I either put maple syrup, agave syrup or sometimes honey that I decide to add to my recipes. But today I thought of this puree I make in dates squares and I decided to try to replace one of the liquid sugar by this. It really turned out great and it makes change.
It is such an easy snack to make, it’s really not worth buying them. Ingredients are simple and it should be kept simple by the industry, but they like to complicate their life by adding so many other things than what comes from nature.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of water
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic organic rolled oat
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) of organic quick oat flakes
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic walnuts
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic sultana raisins
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of organic whole brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of organic melted vegan butter
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of organic sunflower butter
- 2tsp. (10ml) of vanilla
- Preheat you oven to 375º.
- In a small pot, make you dates puree by cooking your dates in the water. It takes about 5 minutes until it’s really smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine the oat flakes, the brown sugar, the walnuts, the raisins, the hemp seeds, the coconut and the chocolate chips.
- In a small bowl, mix the dates puree, the melted butter, the sunflower butter and the vanilla together.
- Put together the oat mix with the butter mix until it’s all well blended.
- In a 9″x13″ oven dish, spread your mix and gently press with your hands to make it even.
- Cook it in the oven for about 25 minutes or until golden.
- When you remove it from the oven, let it cool completely before you take it out of your dish. If it’s hot, it won’t hold and instead of bars, you’ll get granola cereals. :-)
You can add whatever you feel like having and also depending on the ingredients you have at home, you can change the recipe. Enjoy!