I know, another rhubarb recipe. This week in my vegetable basket, I got some more so I was wondering, what can I do different this time. I thought about this apple cobbler we do in fall and decided to replace the apples by rhubarb. With the amount of sugar I put in this recipe (there’s not a lot), you could easily serve this for breakfast or in a brunch instead of sweet buns.
You could also use 2 cups of all purpose gluten free flour if it easier for you, but I like to have a control on the flavours. But don’t stop yourself from baking because I have a long list of flours. :-)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 4 cups (1000ml) of organic rhubarb cut in 1” pieces
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) + 2tbsp. (30ml) of organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of water
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic oat flour
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic coconut flour
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic potato starch
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of organic walnuts
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of xanthan gum
- 2tsp. (10ml) of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of vegan butter
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of vanilla
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF.
- In a small pot, dissolve the sugar in the water until it make a syrup.
- In a round 8″ oven dish with high sides, put in the rhubarb and mix in the syrup. Cook it in the oven for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the rice flour, the oat flour, the quinoa flour, the coconut flour, the tapioca starch, the potato starch, the xanthan gum, the baking powder, the salt and the walnuts.
- I used a food processor for this step but you can use your hands. Like you would for a pie crust, add the butter and make a crumbly dough (small pieces). Add the vanilla and the almond milk. Mix everything until the dough starts to form.
- By then, your rhubarb should be ready. Remove it from the oven, and when it’s still hot, cover it with the dough.
- Put your dish back in the oven and cook your cobbler for 30 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and let it cool for 30 minutes.