I don’t make a lot of cakes, I don’t know why. I make muffins, bars, cookies, maybe because they’re handy snack and that’s what I need the most.
Last week, in my vegetable basket, I got rhubarb. I don’t usually cook this a lot. I remember making a pie but nothing more. So I decided to try something new for me. I wanted to make a cake and cook my rhubarb like in a “Tarte Tatin”. In this recipe I got inspired by a cake I found on the Saveur, but as usual I modified it. I made it vegan and gluten free. It turned out very well. It was moist and very tasty. If you can, serve it warm. The best is when in comes out of the oven. It is very good.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound of organic rhubarb cut in 1″ pieces
- 1/2 cup (125ml) plus 4 tbsp (60ml) of vegan butter
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic cane sugar
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of vanilla
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of organic grounded flax seeds
- 6 tbsp. (90ml) of water
- 1 1/4 organic rice flour
- 3/4 potato starch
- 1/2 cup of organic almond flour
- 2 tsp. (10ml) of baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. xantan gum
- 1/3 cup (83ml) of almond milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 375º.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seeds and the water. Set it aside for 10 minutes.
- In a 9″ cast-iron-skillet, mix the butter, 1/2 cup (125ml) of sugar, the rhubarb and the vanilla and cook it for 10 minutes or when they get tender.
- In the meantime, in a bowl, put the rice flour, the potato starch, the almond flour, the baking powder, the xanthan gum and the salt. Add in the butter and mix it with your hand or with a knife. Then add the almond milk and the flax seeds mix and mix it well.
- Put the dough in your skillet over the rhubarb with a spoon and spread it.
- Put it in the oven for 35 minutes.
- When you remove it from the oven, set it aside for 5 minutes. Then take a plate, put it over your skillet and flip it on your plate.