Before I started to get my organic vegetable basket from my local farm, there are some vegetables I didn’t know existed. Kohlrabi is an example. It only contain 36 cal./ 135g but gives you 140% d.v. of vitamin C (Ref. nutritiondata.self.com) this is why it is very important to eat it raw, vitamin C is very sensitive to heat.
The taste of it reminds me a bit of the radish but not prickly. It is very watery so when you shred it, don’t get rid of the water. If you prepare it too long in advance, it will release more water so it’s better to eat it not too long after you prepare it. As you probably started to notice, I like to add a variety of seeds in my salads as the add good proteins without adding too much fat. It’s also a different way to integrate it in your diet than in cookies or bars.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 1 organic red kohlrabi
- 1 organic green kohlrabi
- 1 organic apple
- Some young snow pea shoots
- 4 tbsp. (60ml) of olive oil
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) of organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) of hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp (30ml) of organic sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp (30ml) of organic sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) of organic pumpkin seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Shred the 2 kohlrabis and place them in a salad bow. Then add the apple and the pea shoots. You can use whatever you want, it’s a salad. 🙂
- Add the hemp seeds, the sesame seeds, the sunflower seeds and the pumpkin seeds.
- Mix in the oil, the vinegar, the salt and the pepper and you will get this fresh and refreshing salad.