Days are longer and the sun stays out longer, spring is here! I was not saying the same thing last week because I was feeling more like having hot soups.
Today it was not a day for a cold salad, but nice enough so I went for a warm salad.
This recipe is also a nice vegan appetizer you can serve when you have people over, because it can be prepared in advance.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 6 cups (1.5 L) of water
- 1 3/4 cups (437.5ml) of organic yellow cornmeal
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) salt
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) of organic dry sprouted lentils
- 4 1/2 cups (1.125l) of water
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic arugula
- 1 cup (250ml) of parsley
- 1 cup (250ml) of coriander
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic sunflower seeds
- 4 tbsp. (60ml) of olive oil
- juice of 1 organic lemon
- Salt and pepper
- For your polenta, bring your water to boil. Add the salt and the cornmeal and whisk. Do this for about 15 minutes regularly, until it’s cooked. Pour it on a cookie sheet and let it cool so you can cut it in pieces later and fry them.
- Slice your onion and cover the slices with a bit of oil and a bit of salt. Leave it there until you’re ready to put them in the lentil salad.
- In an another pot, cook the sprouted lentils for 5 minutes and leave them out of the fire for another 10 minutes. Drain and let them cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime cut all your vegetables and herbs and put then in a salad bowl. Add the sprouted lentils, the sunflower seeds, the oil and the lemon juice. Put the salt and the pepper to your taste.
- In a non-stick frying pan, put a bit of oil and fry your pieces of polenta. This also can be made ahead and warmed in the oven.