I wanted to find a recipe that could replace a standard meat loaf. My kids loved it especially with this little raw tomato salsa on top of it. I just served it with a salad and that was it.
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 1 hr 25 minutes
- 3 cups (750ml) of vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) of red lentils
- 227g of firm tofu
- 1/4 (62.5ml) of fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of Tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp (30ml) of flax seeds
- 6 tbsp. (90ml) of water
- 1 big yellow onion
- 1 shredded carrot
- 2 slices of gluten free bread cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) walnuts
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of curry
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of garlic powder
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 shallot
- 1tbsp. (15ml) of olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp. (7.5ml) of apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- In a small food processor (or by hand if you don’t have one), finely chop the tofu, the parsley, and the garlic. Add the Tamari sauce and let it rest for 1-2 hours or more.
- Cook the lentils in the vegetable broth for 15-20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat your oven to 350º.
- In a small bowl, mix the grounded flax seeds and the water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Over medium heat, cook the onion, the carrot, the bread and the walnuts for 5 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, the garlic powder and add some salt and pepper.
- In a big bowl, mix the cooked lentils and the tofu. Add the onion mix and the flax seeds mix.
- Put your mix in an 8”x8” oven dish and cook it for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your raw tomato sauce by cutting your tomatoes in small squares, finely chop the shallot and the parsley. Mix it all with the oil, the vinegar, add some salt and pepper.