My daughter wanted to make supper yesterday and she had no clue what to make since I was so overdue for grocery shopping. She is almost 12 yrs old but she knows she wants to be a cook. So she asks me to show her. But yesterday, fridge is empty, we had tofu and legumes this week, so what can we do?
Onion! Sweet potatoes (a bit old but who will know :-) )! A piece of broccoli that was lost on a shelf! A can of coconut milk! And the key ingredient for a soup: “WATER” which most of us have and should be thankful for!
So after gathering all the ingredients, she finally started to make it. It was really good. Since my kids tend to sort out the food in they’re bowl, most of the time, I blend everything, but it’s optional, if you want pieces of vegetable in broth, it is also very good!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 organic sweet potatoes
- 1 organic red onion
- 2 cups (500ml) of organic broccoli
- 4 cups (1000ml) of water
- 1 can (398ml) of organic coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- Coarsely chop all your vegetables in approximately the same size to get about the same cooking time.
- In a medium pot, heat the oil and stir in your vegetables. Add some salt and pepper. Let them cook for 2 minutes and add 1 cup of water. Bring it to boil and add another cup and so on until you put your 4 cups. Then add your coconut milk and let it cook until your vegetables are tender. Readjust the seasoning.
- Blend your soup with a hand blender until it there’s no more pieces. If you need to add more water because it is too thick, don’t hesitate, it all depends on the amount of vegetables you’ll put in it.
- Enjoy your supper made in less than 30 minutes and at really a low cost. It can also be a great idea if you’re having guests for Thanksgiving or the holidays!